Thursday, August 13, 2009

Late July Update I

I have been searching for shepherd hooks for a while but didn't want to spend a lot of money on new ones because they were going to be outside, exposed to all the elements anyways. We were on our way to the splash park and I happened to glance at a thrift shop along the way. I found both of these heavy duty shepherd hooks for $10. They normally sale for over $20 a piece so I was really excited for this find. Also, I found some hanging baskets on sale at Walmart's end of the summer sale. NTS (note to self): Wait until the end of the summer to buy gardening supplies so you can get it on clearance. Plan ahead for next year.

The aphids and ants are taking over the long beans. It happens every year but it doesn't seem to affect the yield of the beans so I just left them alone. I will only spray as a last resort. We have way more beans than we can eat. I have thought about freezing it but after freezing almost 12 bags of green beans; I don't know if I want to go there.


The day lilies made a comeback after a couple weeks of scorching hot weather. I didn't think they would make it. I removed all the withered and dead leaves and added plant food with plenty of water.
The cucumbers are still going strong. I found these growing together. I will try to group the cucumbers closer to plants that need a lot of water. The zucchinis in front of the cucumbers were getting more water than they needed.

I tried three times to grow some cilantro from seed but nothing came of it. The seeds were given to me a long time ago and it was no longer viable. I bought some seeds from the store and tried again. About a week later, I see this. Hooray! We use cilantro on a weekly basis so this was really good news.



NTS: Do A Germination Test Before Planting Old Seeds. I found this article online.


If you have some leftover or older seeds and wonder whether or not they are viable and will still germinate and grow, you can find out for sure with a germination test. It’s better to test your seeds before planting than to waste time and effort planting seed that is no longer viable – and why purchase more seeds if those you already have are still good?


How to Set Up Easy Seed Germination Test
Take a small sample of your seeds to test, maybe ten seeds or so from each batch. Slightly dampen a paper towel and place the sample seeds on it. Fold the barely damp paper towel it in half over the seeds. Enclose in plastic wrap or place inside a sealed plastic bag so it will stay damp. Label the package with seed name and date. Set the package in a relatively warm place (70 to 75 degrees) such as the top of your refrigerator or on a high shelf. Do not put it in direct sun. (Direct sun could cause it to overheat.)


How Long to Wait: Check Seeds Often
The seeds should absorb water and swell. Check daily for germination and to make sure the paper towel is still just barely moist. Mist it lightly if it begins to dry out.
Depending on which specific plant you are testing, the seeds may begin to sprout in a day or two or may take several weeks to begin. Usually the majority will sprout within a few days of each other. When germination stops and no more seeds have sprouted for several days, you will know what approximate germination rate to expect from that batch of seeds. Read more: http://flowergardens.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_test_seed_viability#ixzz0OCip6RO7


My mom gave me some green onions from her garden and planted it in my garden but it would not come up. She told me to snip the roots and green top off and then stick it in the ground. A little of the green grew back but then it withered and died. I kept it in the ground anyways hoping that once the weather cools down, it would come back. In the meanwhile, I bought some green onions from the store and snipped off the top and planted in these cute little containers I found at a garage sale. I put pebbles on the bottom, soil in the middle and pebbles on top. Green onions will grow in water alone but they will get a little stinky after a while so I came up with this. After two weeks, the greens are about 2 inches tall. Just enough for our little family.

No comments:

Post a Comment