Friday, August 28, 2009

Late August

Fall is just around the corner and I have not done any planting for the fall garden, yet. I finally cleared out the cucumbers and some of the scallop squash plants. I disconnected the long beans from the fence attached them to the other side where the cucumbers used to be. Now, I can actually walk through the back of the garden. The garden is starting to look a lot thinner and maybe even organized.

The tomatoes have been a pain to harvest because it has over-grown so much! I had to cute out some vines just to get to them. I need to do a little more planning next year and leave some more space for exponential growth from the tomatoes. We harvested mostly cherry tomatoes but the hybrids are finally turning red. The sad thing is I am not a big fan of eating raw tomatoes. I usually freeze it and keep it for soups and papaya salad.

The hanging basket plants are blooming like crazy. I just love it! They just brighten my day. I feed them a couple of days ago and look at it now.








Watermelons have been doing so well this year. The biggest one is probably close to 5 lbs. After transpanting mid-summer, I didn't think they were even going to make it. The girls are so excited to pick them. We just have to wait a little longer.





























The ornamental gourds are also doing well. They spreading everywhere and it's been difficult trying to keep them within the garden so Jimmy doesn't mow over them. Hopefully, they will be ready in time for Fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment