Sunday, August 16, 2009

Landscaping on a $3 Budget

We have a little area in the backyard that is just outside the dining room window. I have always wanted to do something with it but didn't have any good ideas. I thought we could add some stone pavers and use it as a sitting area. But after much thought, I decided that adding some flowers and a couple of shrubs would really make it more pleasant. Besides, we were already planning on extending the patio to the right side of the yard. So I made a few sketches and decided on a design that would incorporate the flowers and shrubs that we already had in the yard. I was a little hestitant to move them in the middle of summer because of the extreme high temperatures that we're having that month. I laid down the weed fabric and waited over a month. Jimmy was not happy because he had to mow around it and grass was growing up the side of the wall.


Earlier this week, I got a lucky break and it rained like cats and dogs. The temperatures dropped to the 70s with 100% humidity of course. The ground was nice and moist so that made digging so much easier. With the design in hand, I started to move plants from around the yard to fill in the spots.

So it would have cost us a lot more than $3 if I had to buy everything. The brick was free courtesy of a construction site that didn't need it anymore. The mulch, boxwoods, and monkey grass were left overs from a landscaping project of our friend's business. The rocks were relocated from place that won't miss it. I paid $3 for the zinnias, marigolds and begonias from a local nursery. The flowers are the ones that the girls planted in their square foot garden. They had to be moved because the watermelon and gourds were taking over that space.

So here it is---my $3 landscaping project. Next year, I plan to add azaleas, day lilies and a few annuals. I'm just waiting for the plant sale at Walmart's Associate Store next Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment