Friday, August 14, 2009

Late July Update II

The tomatoes have taken over the medium garden bed. You can barely see the watermelon on the bottom. We are going to have a lot of tomatoes but so far only the cherry tomatoes have ripen.



After spraying with some Garden Safe insecticide, the scallop summer squash are doing better. We had problems with vine borers getting in the squash and zucchinis. They ate away the stems and base of the plants and leave this nasty, smelly "poop" (as my kids call it). I found some info on this website to help get rid of them.











I found this cute little jar and basket at a garage sale and thought it would be a perfect addition to my garden decor. I planted marigolds and another flower in them. It's doing so well in the hanging baskets and jar. I will have to use it again next year. I just love the tiny little flowers with all kinds of different colors. NTS: Don't throw away the plant tags until you have written down the name of the plant. You won't remember it!
















My beautiful flower garden. Sunflowers, cosmos, and zinnias! The sweet allysums and marigolds that I planted from seed are also coming in. You can see them in the flower bed near the base of the sunflowers. I can't believe how tall the sunflowers could grow. They are taller than the fence so they are probably close to 7 feet tall.
















































No comments:

Post a Comment