Friday, October 23, 2009

Gourds, Peas, and One Giant Spider

The gourds did a good job of taking over most of the garden. The harvest however was meager. My mother-in-law came and harvested most of it. My plan was to use it for Halloween and Thanksgiving decorations but she cooked most of it. The gourds were bitter and tasted horrible. Next year, I think we will probably do pumpkins.















Sugar-snap peas are yummy but they have not been producing as much as I had expected. My girls eat them like candy. Next year, I will try to grow more and maybe add more fertilizer. More research to come on how to help them produce more peas.
















Finally, we found a BIG surprise next to the peach tree on a lovely summer day. This huge spider was building a giant web from the peach tree to our clothes line. I didn't know if it was friendly or venomous so I killed it. After doing some researching online I found that it's called an Orb Weaver. They are not suppose to be aggressive but I was not taking any chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment