Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Closed for Winter

I finally gave into the cold weather and cleaned up my fall garden today. With single digit temperatures and snow coming soon, I decided to hang up the gardening gloves and take a break. I harvested the last of the collard greens, radishes, cabbage leaves, and mustard greens. All the other vegetables did not mature enough to eat so I'll just let it sit for the winter and maybe fertilize the dirt.

Next year, I'll be more prepared for the frost and snow since I already have all the materials needed to build a nice cold frame. According to the Farmer's almanac, the average last frost date is early April and first frost date is late October. Hopefully, I can get the cold frame built between now and April so I can get an early start on spring planting.

So for the next couple of months, I will work on creating a planting calendar specifically for this area so I can get the most out of the next season.

See you in the spring!


No comments:

Post a Comment